SAN DIEGO -- The San Diego County Bicycle Coalition has named its 13 biggest bicycle achievements of the year:
- CicloSDias: San Diego’s first open streets celebration celebrates car-free streets;
- New Belgium Brewing’s Tour de Fat raises more than $40,000 for local bicycling nonprofits;
- Thousands of bicycles cross the San Diego-Coronado Bay Bridge for sixth annual Bike the Bay and raise more than $62,000 for the Bicycle Coalition;
- Mayoral candidates address plan for livable streets and communities;
- The Bicycle Coalition hosts dozens of classes and public workshops to prepare anyone bicycling with safety tips;
- SANDAG approves $200 million for regional bike plan Early Action program;
- San Diego’s first-ever bike share program with DECO Bikes unanimously approved (scheduled to launch in 2014);
- Bike to Work Day gets a record number of participants in 2013 (more than 9,000);
- Cities across San Diego County install bike corrals, green bike lanes, sharrows and other infrastructure enhancements;
- The Bicycle Coalition hosts free bicycle valet at over twenty community events in San Diego County;
- Regional Bike Walk Alliance created by the Bicycle Coalition represented by Bicycle and Pedestrian groups in Oceanside, Coronado, Chula Vista, Encinitas, Vista, Escondido, Solana Beach and San Diego City Council District 2;
- Partnership with San Diego Business Improvement District Council holds Monthly Bike Local Sundays to encourage folks to ride and shop at local businesses;
- San Diego City Council Approves $312 Million Bicycle Master Plan Update.
The Bicycle Coalition also named the winners of its Golden Gear Awards:
- Advocate of the Year: Randy Van Vleck of City Heights Community Development Corporation for his tireless efforts to make bicycling a safer transportation option, particularly in Mid-City.
- Volunteers of the Year: Julie Hocking and Robert Leone for their commitment and dedication the SDCBC through years of volunteer service to the organization.
- Community Partner of the Year: KPRI Radio, for its support of bicycling and media contribution to Bike Month and Bike the Bay Programs.
- Public Partner of the Year: San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG) for its work advancing active transportation options by supporting the $200-million early action program for the San Diego Regional Bike Plan.
- Bike Friendly Business of the Year: New Belgium Brewing for supporting bicycling throughout the country with the annual Tour de Fat and raising more than $91,000 for the SDCBC in the past five years.
“San Diego is growing its bicycle-culture thanks to some very involved community members and organizations,” says Andy Hanshaw, executive director. “The winners we’ve chosen have substantially progressed the bicycling movement in San Diego. This is our event to recognize them and celebrate a great year.”