Executive Director of the Hillcrest Business Association, Benjamin Nicholls is asking the community to contact the mayor.
Vendors for The Hillcrest Farmer’s Market are no longer allowed to park their vehicles in the medians during the event according to the Hillcrest Business Association (HBA).
In a news release HBA’s Executive Director Benjamin Nicholls says that this new rule may seem like a small issue but in actuality, it poses a huge problem.
“Without on-site parking for vendors, we will have dramatically reduced parking options for customers (over 150 spaces lost!) and have created a huge burden for our vendors. If you care about parking in Hillcrest, this is something you should care about!”
Nicholls explains in the statement that the vendor loading zone has been in the same place for years with the blessing of the San Diego Police Department (SDPD). But recently there was a complaint about parking problems in the Normal Heights over two miles away, “and their solution is to exacerbate the parking problem in Hillcrest by taking over a hundred parking spaces away?!”
According to Nicholls the SDPD won’t meet with his team to discuss the problem or even reveal the nature of the complaint, so he has issued a call to action for the community to contact both Mayor Kevin Faulconer and Councilmember Chris Ward in hopes to “creatively solve parking concerns.”
Nicholls suggests doing the following:
Please email or call firstname.lastname@example.org 619-236-6330 and email@example.com 619-236-6633 and tell them to stop the Police Department from strangling the market. Please use the following talking points:
- The Hillcrest Farmers Market is San Diego's original most beloved farmers market and thousands of people come to visit every week.
- The market is one of the chief reasons that east Hillcrest is thriving.
- Reducing parking options at the market will strangle the market, increase traffic, and harm local businesses.
- Parking is Hillcrest's number one issue and proactive parking strategies is something we should embrace.
- There have been no problems concerning our parking strategies at the market.
- Please add information about why you love the Hillcrest Farmers Market.
Nicholls is eager to solve the problem, so the farmer’s market can continue to run smoothly, but he says there is no way to get to the bottom of the issue if they won’t even reveal the actual complaint.
“Please, ask people that you know who care about the farmers market to send messages and call,” says Nicholls. “This is a critical issue that if not resolved will strangle to market.”
We will keep you updated on the situation as it develops.