The award-winning choir is looking for new talent and they want to hear your voice.
The San Diego Gay Men’s Chorus is looking to add new voices to their award-winning group, and would like to hear you sing.
SDGMC is holding auditions on Saturday January 7, Sunday January 8 and Monday, January 9.
If you think you have what it takes to join this group, there are a few things you should know before auditioning according to the website. Keep in mind the SDGMC uses a point system for choosing talent:
To be successful in your SDGMC audition, you should have some prior music experience either singing in a school, community or church chorus, or playing a musical instrument.
Most members of SDGMC possess at least basic music sight-reading skills. Your five-minute audition with members of the artistic staff will consist of the following:
• 16-32 measures of a prepared solo that you enjoy singing. You must either bring sheet music for our accompanist, or an iPod-compatible player with an accompaniment track.
We will provide a dock with speakers. Sorry, but no unaccompanied auditions are permitted. Part of your audition is determining how well you sing in tune to an accompaniment (15 points max).
• A check of your vocal range, from high notes to low notes, to determine your vocal placement
• A check to see how accurately you can sing a note played for you on the piano (10 points max).
• A check to see how accurately you can sing back a short combination of notes and rhythms played on the piano (10 points max).
• A short six-question “match the music symbol to its name” quiz to check your knowledge of basic music notation symbols (6 points max).
• A simple four to eight-measure sight-reading exercise (10 points max).
A combined score of 35 points is needed for admission to the chorus.
Former SDGMC members may also apply, but they will have to follow the above guidelines.
The San Diego Gay Men's Chorus are community advocates who create themed shows throughout the year for entertainment, fundraising and promotion of community awareness.
To find out more about auditioning for the San Diego Gay Men's Chorus click HERE.