Since opening our doors on February 8th, 2008 our mission has been to bridge the gap between the vibe and energy of a buzzing neighborhood bistro with the quality of food, wine and service that can only be found in some of the most quality driven restaurants.
Julia Childs once said, "You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces, just good food from fresh ingredients."
Nothing could be closer to the truth and that is why you'll find our food simply delicious, fresh, in season and inspired. We look forward to serving you.
Whisknladle’s Mussels & Fries
(Pref. use Carlsbad AquaFarms Mussels)
3T Diced shallots
3T Garlic confit
4oz White Wine Savignon Blanc
6T Aioli (see recipe below)
12 oz French Fries
3ea bay leaf
1. Melt butter in sauce pot big enough to fit Mussels comfortably
2. Add shallots, garlic confit & bay leaf
3. When shallots are soft with out browning butter then add mussels
4. When pot heats back up 1min, then add white wine cover and steam until down about 3 to 5minutes
5. When done place mussels in 4 separate bowls using a slotted spoon so juice remains in pot.
6. Place aioli in pot with juice and whisk until liquid becomes thicker
7. Then pour juice over mussels and serve
8. Serve with French fries
6 cloves of raw garlic
2 egg yolks
2 cups olive oil
lemon juice to taste
1. In mortar and pestle crush garlic with salt until smooth
2. Add garlic, water and egg yolks to mixing bowl
3. Whisk together egg mixture and then slowly add olive oil, we want create an emulsification
4. Season with salt and lemon juice
3# potatoes (Pref. use Kennebec)
2Qts peanut oil
1. heat oil to 300 degrees, using candied themometer
2. Cut potatoes into 1/4inx1/4inx2in
3. Rinse fries in water for one hour
4. Dry fries very well
5. Then blanch fries in oil for 2 minutes
6. Place on sheet pan and let cool in fridge
7. Heat oil to 350 and fry potatoes until golden brown
8 garlic cloves
4oz olive oil
1. Cook garlic in very slow in oil until soft.
Whisknladle is located at 1044 Wall St. in La Jolla. Lunch is served daily from 11:30 - 3:00pm w/ great Brunch additions on Saturdays & Sundays. A Sunset menu is offered daily from 3:00 - 5:00pm. Whisknladle features $3 Tapas, $20 Pitchers of Sangria and 25% off all bottles of wine daily from 5:00 - 7:00pm at their bar. Dinner is available Sunday-Thursday from 5:00 - 9:00pm, and on Friday and Saturday from 5:00 - 10:00pm. For reservations or more information call 858.551.7575.