NEW YORK -- ABC’s “Brothers & Sisters” and Lifetime’s “Prayers for Bobby” were among the major winners Saturday night at the first of three GLAAD Media Awards events.
Joy Behar and Cynthia Nixon won individual honors.
Two dozen of this year's 32 media categories were presented at the 21st annual ceremony, last night at the Marriott Marquis in Manhattan.
Additional awards will be presented in Los Angeles on April 17 at the Hyatt Regency Century Plaza, and in San Francisco on June 5 at the Westin St. Francis.
Following is a complete list of GLAAD Media Awards presented on stage, and the individuals that accepted the awards (accepters tentative):
• Excellence in Media Award: Joy Behar (presented by Meredith Vieira)
• Vito Russo Award: Cynthia Nixon (presented by Michael Patrick King)
• Outstanding Drama Series: “Brothers & Sisters” (ABC)
• Outstanding TV Movie or Mini-Series: “Prayers for Bobby” (Lifetime) [Accepted by: Sigourney Weaver and producers Daniel Sladek and Damian Ganczewski]
• Outstanding TV Journalism Segment: "Why Will Won't Pledge Allegiance," American Morning (CNN)
• Outstanding Digital Journalism Article: TIE: “We Love You, This Won't Change a Thing" by John Buccigross (ESPN.com) [Accepted by: John Buccigross and Patrick Burke, brother of Brendan Burke] and "Why Can't You Just Butch Up? Gay Men, Effeminacy, and Our War with Ourselves" by Brent Hartinger (AfterElton.com) [Accepted by: Brent Hartinger]
• Special Recognition: Hair
The following is a list of all other award recipients:
• Outstanding Film-Limited Release: “Little Ashes” (Regent Releasing)
• Outstanding Individual Episode: Pawnee Zoo, “Parks and Recreation” (NBC)
• Outstanding Daily Drama: “One Life to Live” (ABC)
• Outstanding Talk Show Episode: Ellen DeGeneres and Her Wife, Portia de Rossi, “The Oprah Winfrey Show” (syndicated)
• Outstanding TV Journalism – Newsmagazine: "Uganda Be Kidding Me" (series) “The Rachel Maddow Show” (MSNBC)
• Outstanding Newspaper Article: "Kept From a Dying Partner's Bedside" by Tara Parker-Pope (The New York Times)
• Outstanding Newspaper Columnist: Frank Rich (The New York Times)
• Outstanding Newspaper Overall Coverage: The New York Times
• Outstanding Magazine Article: "Coming Out in Middle School" by Benoit Denizet-Lewis (The New York Times Magazine)
• Outstanding Magazine Overall Coverage: The Advocate
• Outstanding Comic Book: Detective Comics by Greg Rucka (DC Comics)
• Outstanding New York Theater: Broadway & Off–Broadway: “A Boy and His Soul” by Colman Domingo
• Outstanding New York Theater: Off–Off Broadway: “She Like Girls” by Chisa Hutchinson
• Outstanding Novela: “Más Sabe el Diablo” (Telemundo)
• Outstanding Daytime Talk Show Episode: "Adopción gay: un tema muy controversial," Paparazzi TV Sensacional (MegaTV)
• Outstanding Talk Show Interview: "Realidades de ser gay en la tercera edad," El Show de Cristina (Univision)
• Outstanding TV Journalism – Newsmagazine: Tie: "En el cuerpo equivocado," Primer Impact o (Univision); and "Damas gracias: Entrevista con Eva Leivas-Andino," Al Rojo Vivo (Telemundo)
• Outstanding Newspaper Article: "Mas familias de dos papás o dos mamas" by Pilar Marrero (La Opinión)
• Outstanding Magazine Article: "Del odio a la justicia" by Lena Hansen (People en Español)
• Outstanding Digital Journalism Article: "Saliendo del clóset: Cómo enfrentarlo en familia" by Fernanda Martínez (Univision.com)
The GLAAD Media Awards elevate and promote fair, accurate and inclusive stories of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) issues, people and allies that have increased awareness, understanding and respect for the lives of LGBT people. GLAAD Media Award nominees were published, released or broadcast between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31, 2009.
More information about the upcoming GLAAD Media Awards events in Los Angeles and San Francisco may be found here .
The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) is dedicated to promoting and ensuring fair, accurate and inclusive representation of people and events in the media as a means of eliminating homophobia and discrimination based on gender identity and sexual orientation.