This is part one of five video recipes for a Greek Easter Meal. Keep an eye out for Grilled Butterflied Leg of Lamb with Grilled Asparagus, Greek Salad, Tzatziki sauce, and Greek potato recipes in the coming week.
Its not only Easter, it’s Greek Easter– and the Greek know how to party with some great food!
When I lived in Greece I used to love to go to the bakery in the morning to get some spanakopita, spinach and feta cheese in pastry, and in the afternoon I would snack on some baked feta with roasted red pepper on top.
So, today I am combining them all together.
• 6 oz feta cheese, crumbled
• 1/3 cup roasted red peppers, diced
• 1 cup frozen spinach, defrosted
• 1 egg, beaten
• Pinch of grated nutmeg
• Pinch of black pepper
• 4 sheets of phyllo pastry
• ¼ cup melted butter
1. Pre heat oven to 400˚F
2. In a bowl mix red pepper, spinach, feta cheese and egg together. Season with black pepper and nutmeg.
3. Lay one sheet of phyllo pastry out on a chopping board, covering the other sheets with a damp towel. Lightly brush the phyllo pastry with butter and place another sheet on top. Continue, using all four sheets of pastry. Cut pastry into 12 pieces.
4. Grease a muffin pan with butter and line the muffin pan with the pastry squares.
5. Divide the feta cheese mixture evenly between the muffin pan sections.
6. Place in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until the pastry is golden. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
Diane Stopfordis a food consultant and personal chef.