To lose fat, first, you need to know what fat is, is it necessary to lose fat? There are two types of fat present in our bodies. One is visceral or white adipose fat which usually accumulates around organs and is much more difficult to get rid of. Another is brown adipose tissue which can be called good fats because these have essential functions in the body. However, It’s the individual’s choice to lose fat and get their desired body.
To lose fat from the calf you need to know the structure of the calf. The calf consists of 3 muscles: gastrocnemius, soleus, and plantaris forming a common tendon called the Achilles tendon.
5 Best Exercises & Diet Plans To Lose Calf Fat
To lose weight you must focus on a cardio workout, strength training, and a low-calorie but nutritious diet. To lose weight from the calf, you have to follow exercises that specifically target your calf. For example, a calf raise, in which you lift your body on your toes.
The most important factor to lose weight is to work on three important aspects i.e workout, nutritious and calorie deficit diet, and last but not the least behavior. Therefore, these factors together will help you achieve your desired lean calves.
Losing fat is a tedious process but when done with the right type of diet it can do wonders. Diet is the most essential step for losing your calf fat. You need to go on a calorie-deficit diet which means you need to reduce the number of calories from your current intake. You can break your meals into smaller meals and add a lot of fluids like juices, smoothies, and shakes to keep you full. Exercise alone will not help you reduce your fat, you need to decrease your calorie consumption. To keep your calorie in check you need to calculate your current calorie intake and the amount you wish to lose. Moreover, this process will help you keep track in case you go up on your desired calorie.
There are a few factors that determine your calorie:
- The desired amount of weight loss
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Active Lifestyle
It is preferable to add physical activities along with calorie reduction to lose fat.
There are various supplements available that can aid weight loss. Supplements are certain concentrated nutritional sources that produce the desired physiological effect when taken under recommended dose. Such as:
- omega 3 fatty acids
- green tea extracts
- vitamin supplements
- spirulina etc
Some dos and don’t to keep in mind while you are on a fat loss journey
- Do not cut on fats completely because our body needs some amount of fat to metabolize some macro and micronutrients.
- Try not to consume packed and processed food items.
- Do not skip breakfast. because it’s the most essential meal of the day.
- Do not stick to a single food item, keep your diet versatile and varied to gather all nutrients required.
- Too much calorie restriction can prove counterproductive.
- Stick to healthy and natural sources of fat.
- Track your calories using smart apps to keep a check on your diet.
- Do not increase your cheat meals.
- Consume more fruits and vegetables.
- Consume more protein.
There are certain risk factors associated with calorie restriction without any coach. Therefore, there might be chances you are not consuming enough nutrients required for the body such as:
- Low immunity: Due to lesser nutrition for the growth of immune cells. The body may not resist or fight infection in the long run.
- Osteoporosis: A calorie deficit diet should not cut on your calcium supplies. Calcium is needed for bone growth, deficiency may cause osteoporosis.
- Reduced strength: Without any exercise and just calorie deficiency may reduce your muscle strength.
- Deficiency disease: A calorie deficit diet should not be a nutrient deficit otherwise it can cause deficiency disorders.
Adding a workout to your daily routine is important to accelerate the loss of fat. You need to work out the whole of your body to create that slim look. If your focus is to reduce fat from your calf only, you can opt for a strength training regimen that will build muscle mass and increase metabolism which will eventually reduce fat from your calf. However, many exercises that can help you achieve your goal. Work with a physical fitness coach or physiotherapist to know what exercises work for you.
5 most effective exercises for losing calf fat
#1 Running :
Target muscle: full body
Running is the best thing to start your weight loss journey. It will improve metabolism and will work to improve endurance. Your lungs will open up to extract more oxygen. Your calves will get that kick start for losing fat. Running will burn a lot of calories, which may increase your appetite but all you have to do is take small nutritious meals.
# 2 Stair Climbing:
Target muscle: calves, glutes, hamstrings, quadriceps
One of the most sought-after exercises for fat burn is stair climbing. This one strengthens your lower body and workout your legs to lose a lot of fat. Stair climbing is a cardiovascular exercise. You can simply climb up and down for 15 min every day to see some results. Before starting you must not forget to warm up with calf and hams stretching. Furthermore, you can self-stretch or can take the help of your coach.
#3 Calf Raises:
Target muscles: calves and hamstrings
Calf raises can be standing or seated calf raises. For standing calf raises all you have to do is stand with your feet a few inches apart. Lift up your heel and stand on your toes. Repeat 15 to 25 times for the first set to feel your calves actually burning during this workout. Do the Achilles tendon stretch after the calf raises to cool down. You can do seated calf raise using dumbbells, the weight can be adjusted according to your strength.
#4 Jump Squats:
Target muscle: calves, hams, quads, glutes
Jump squats are simply squatting with jumping. You need to stand with both feet apart and sit in a squatting position, pull your hands up and jump and land back on the ground. Start with 10-15 repetitions for 3 sets.
#5 Sumo squats with weights
Target muscle: calves, hams, glutes, quads
Sumo squats are done with your feet wide apart and you need to hold the weight in both hands and sit in a squatting position.
Aerobic exercises are those exercises that get your heart pumping. These are the exercises that get oxygen into the body. This involves the cardiovascular system. This includes swimming, running, rope jumping, etc which will help you lose your calf fat. Therefore, You need to work up your legs to lose that fat.
In order to achieve your goal of a lean calf and gorgeous legs you need to make habitual behavior changes in your lifestyle. Everyone wishes to look attractive with a toned and lean body but this comes with certain practices. Losing fat is not a few days process, it requires consistent efforts and habitual changes to maintain your lean calves. Motivation to build your body in a certain way is the best way to achieve your goal. Therefore, a positive attitude towards diet and physical activity will get you going through your journey of losing calf fat.
People get various judgments about their appearance, which should not limit them or demotivate them. You should calm your mind by doing a few minutes of meditation daily to stay focused on your goal of burning fat.
Mindful eating is a habit that you must inculcate to keep a check on what you eat when you eat, and how much you eat. In addition, you can achieve this by controlling your environment
- keeping high-calorie tempting food items away from your home.
- Do not eat while binge-watching your favorite shows or movies
- Eat at a specific time.
- You need to control your shopping list.
- Do not shop more than what you require.
- Read the label on the food item to make better choices.
- Buy only healthy snacks.
- If you want to buy cheap snack items, keep them small in quantity.
- Uninstall your food delivery apps that may tempt you to order high-calorie food items.
- Controlling your social eating habits.
- When you’re out, you can eat the food of your choice just to reduce the proportion.
- Avoid or try to limit alcohol intake, you can choose other soda options.
- Don’t skip your meals to make room for special occasions.
- Take a small bowl and plates to reduce your proportion.
- Wait 15 – 20 min before eating the next food item to check if you are actually hungry.
To Wrap Up:
Calf fat may be undesirable for a lot of people. In order to lose your fat you must adopt healthy choices which include a deficit caloric diet, physical activity, and appropriate lifestyle changes. Everything requires patience and perseverance to achieve.
In addition, you must stay motivated and work efficiently to achieve your desired lean legs. You must look for risk factors before adopting any regimen. Moreover, it is advisable to consult the appropriate coach for your diet and exercise. It will help you achieve your goal without falling into any risk.
I've been writing about LGBTQ issues for more than a decade as a journalist and content writer. I write about things that you care about. LGBTQ+ issues and intersectional topics, such as harmful stories about gender, sexuality, and other identities on the margins of society, I also write about mental health, social justice, and other things. I identify as queer, I'm asexual, I have HIV, and I just became a parent.