SAN DIEGO – City Councilmember Carl DeMaio, currently polling among the front-runners for San Diego mayor, will give a job speech this morning during a meeting with the local business group known as The Entrepreneurs’ Organization.
DeMaio’s camp says he will call for 10 reforms as he presents his comprehensive job creation proposal, the “Pathway to Prosperity,” to some of San Diego’s leading entrepreneurs.
Top 10 reforms to be proposed
1. Designate “job sector coordinators” to troubleshoot problems in economic sectors.
2. Overhaul of permit processing at development services.
3. Clean tech incubator center and retail expo.
4. Expand the “hire a youth” program to support 5,000 youth jobs.
5. Vocal leadership to ensure completion of Navy headquarters project.
6. “Tourism 2020” strategic plan.
7. Make San Diego a “fair and open employment” region.
8. Enact “Regulatory Amnesty.”
9. 50% of all permits to be ministerial within five years.
10. Provide greater leadership on regulatory reform in Sacramento.
“We need to get San Diegans back to work – and I’m aggressively pursuing reforms to make city government a help, rather than a hindrance, to economic recovery in our region,” DeMaio said.
The meeting will run from 11:15 am to 1 pm today at the Hyatt Regency La Jolla, 3777 La Jolla Village Drive.
As a matter of full disclosure, SDGLN Publisher Johnathan Hale has a personal relationship with Carl DeMaio. Their relationship in no way impacts the editorial decisions made by Ken Williams, SDGLN Editor in Chief, and does not influence our political coverage. All candidates are allowed to submit two pieces per month for our Commentary page. Williams can be reached at [email protected], @KenSanDiego on Twitter or at (877) 727-5446, x713.