These young people came from all walks of life.
Unfortunately when tragedy strikes such as the one that befell Orlando’s LGBT nightclub Pulse early Sunday morning, attention immediately goes to the assailant and not the victims.
Sadly, this is because not much is known about the victims until they can be identified and preliminary investigations are complete.
This morning, over half of the names of those killed inside the nightclub have been released.
Candlelight vigils were held all over the country including here in San Diego with another one tonight at 6:30 pm in Hillcrest.
Those killed were people who came from a variety of backgrounds. Juan Ramon Guerrero worked as a ride attendant at Universal Studios NBC reports. Stanley Almodovar III worked at a pharmacy and Kimberly Morris was a manager at a cellular store.
At about 2 am on Sunday June 12, gunman Omar Saddiqui Mateen entered the LGBT nightclub Pulse and went on a mass shooting spree, killing 49 people in his path.
Here are 33 of the the 49 souls he took in the worst mass shooting the country has ever seen.
- Edward Sotomayor Jr., 34.
- Stanley Almodovar III, 23.
- Luis Omar Ocasio-Capo, 20.
- Juan Ramon Guerrero, 22.
- Eric Ivan Ortiz-Rivera, 36.
- Peter O. Gonzalez-Cruz, 22.
- Luis S. Vielma, 22.
- Kimberly Morris, 37.
- Eddie Jamoldroy Justice, 30.
- Darryl Roman Burt II, 29.
- Deonka Deidra Drayton, 32.
- Alejandro Barrios Martinez, 21.
- Anthony Luis Laureanodisla, 25.
- Jean Carlos Mendez Perez, 35.
- Franky Jimmy Dejesus Velazquez, 50.
- Amanda Alvear, 25.
- Martin Benitez Torres, 33.
- Luis Daniel Wilson-Leon, 37.
- Mercedez Marisol Flores, 26.
- Xavier Emmanuel Serrano Rosado, 35.
- Gilberto Ramon Silva Menendez, 25.
- Simon Adrian Carrillo Fernandez, 31.
- Oscar A. Aracena-Montero, 26.
- Enrique L. Rios, Jr., 25 years old.
- Miguel Angel Honorato, 30 years old.
- Javier Jorge-Reyes, 40 years old.
The San Diego LGBT Community Center (The Center) will host the community gathering for a night of support and rememberance tonight from 6:30 pm to 8 pm.
The Center is located at 3909 Centre St., San Diego, 92103
photo courtesy of NBC