The White House has released a document of terrorist attacks that they say the media have “ignored,” incredibly they specify The Pulse Nightclub massacre as one of them.
On June 12, 2016, Omar Mateen entered the Pulse Nightclub in Orlando and opened fire, killing 49 people and injuring 53, making it the worst mass shooting by a lone gunman in United States history.
Media attention was fast and widespread, with major networks filming live at the scene with non-stop coverage.
San Diego Gay and Lesbian News broke the news as it was happening and have followed up with stories concerning the aftermath ever since.
Print outlets also led with the story and multiple high-ranking officials including then-President Obama made statements about the tragedy:
“This is an especially heartbreaking day for all our friends—our fellow Americans—who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender. The shooter targeted a nightclub where people came together to be with friends, to dance and to sing, and to live. The place where they were attacked is more than a nightclub—it is a place of solidarity and empowerment where people have come together to raise awareness, to speak their minds, and to advocate for their civil rights,” Obama said in a statement that day.
The array of attacks listed in the document comes after Trump spoke to a group of military officials on Monday at MacDill Air Force Base in Tampa, where he chastised the press for being dishonest though he gave no examples at the time.
“It’s gotten to a point where it’s not even being reported,” he told a group of senior commanders. “And in many cases, the very, very dishonest press doesn’t want to report it.”
His press secretary, Sean Spicer, quickly came to Trump’s defense aboard Air Force One, “There’s a lot of instances where I don’t think they’ve gotten the coverage it deserved,” Spicer said. “We’ll provide a list later.”
That catalog was released and contains 78 “ignored” instances which also include San Bernardino, Brussels, and Nice.
Here’s the description of the Pulse attacks as it is written in the White House release:
“ORLANDO, FL, US. June, 2016. TARGET: 49 killed and 53 wounded in shooting at a nightclub ATTAKER: US person”.
This release follows on the heels of Trump administration counselor Kellyanne Conway, who criticized the press last week for ignoring the “Bowling Green Massacre,” which turns out never happened.
You can see the full list of attacks the White House says the media has ignored HERE.