Rapper Tory Lanez was found guilty of three crimes in December last year, after being found guilty of shooting hip-hop singer Megan Thee Stallion in the foot and injuring her. On Tuesday, the attorneys for Tory Lanez requested a new trial which the Los Angeles judge denied.
Tory Lanez Megan Thee Stallion Shooting Trial
Attorneys for Tory Lanez argued that evidence was wrongly introduced during the trial he presided over, but Superior Court Judge Herriford dismissed their claims. He claimed that excluding the disputed evidence won’t change the final result.
The 30-year-old Daystar Peterson, popularly known as Tory Lanez, will now receive a term for possessing a loaded, unregistered handgun in a vehicle, abusing a semiautomatic gun, and carelessly firing a gun.
According to reports, Lanez could get up to 22 years imprisonment and might have to face deportation to his native Canada.
He pleaded with Herriford, the Los Angeles Judge for support as he was being carried back to jail following a hearing on the motion the day before.
A customary step before filing an appeal with a higher court, which Lanez’s attorneys intend to do, is to file a motion for a new trial with the same judge right away after the first one. The motions are rarely effective.
Claims By The Attorneys Of Tory Lanez
Lanez’s attorney states that the Instagram post was wrongly admitted into evidence. They said that Tory Lanez was on parole and would face substantial consequences thus, Megan’s evidence that he told her not to contact the police was improper and was improperly permitted.
They also argued that the DNA evidence that the prosecution utilized to support its claim that Lanez was the most probable shooter fell well short of professional standards.
They had an in-depth presentation ready with audiovisuals and witnesses, but Herriford insisted on focusing legal arguments on the specific points put forward, which is standard practice for such cases in California court.
They begged Herriford to let them make their case in the manner they had anticipated. After the continued dissatisfaction, they eventually submitted a request to remove the judge from office.
Lanez’s attorneys, who did not defend him at trial, said that George Mgdesyan’s handling of the rapper’s case was flawed since he had little time to prepare for trial after the rapper’s previous lawyer dropped out.
Tory Lanez Megan Thee Stallion Shooting What Happened Actually?
Megan Pete, well-known as Megan Thee Stallion, claimed that Tory Lanez yelled at her to dance as she walked away from an SUV in which they had been traveling in the Hollywood Hills in the summer of 2020 and shot at the back of her feet.
At trial, Mgdesyan asserted that Lanez had not fired the gun and that Megan had lied in her evidence. He then claimed that there wasn’t enough proof to convict.
The courtroom was packed with reporters, Lanez’s supporters, and family members, and there were many outside in the corridor as it had been throughout the trial.
The shooting and the trial of Tory Lanez led to several cultural issues and arguments during the trial.
People started raising issues regarding the reluctance of Black victims to speak to police officials, the security for Black women, gender politics in hip-hop, and online toxicity.
After announcing Lanez’s verdict, his father blamed the judicial system as ‘wicked.’
Lanez came into the limelight after releasing his mixtapes in 2009. His most recent two songs made the top 10 on the Billboard charts.
At the time of Tory Lanez’s attack on Megan Thee Stallion, she was already a rising celebrity musician. Megan was the recipient of the Grammy Award for Best New Artist in 2021 and had two No.1 hits on the Billboard Hot 100.